“It fits in really well with my business, as it’s an organic and relevant way of marketing our services online. I really like the fact that not only is it an up-to-date and informative sourcebook, it also has great editorial content, which reads like a magazine.”
If you’d like to use social networking to expand your own business, Sophie has some advice:
- Find someone you admire in your industry and see what they tweet about and who they follow. Try and emulate them. When you are thinking of posting a tweet, ask yourself if they would post it.
- Don’t endlessly promote your business. Rather than just publishing links to your work, talk about what you have been doing or where you have been – perhaps on a work-related trip – and post links to related subjects. You have to be slightly more indirect about it.
- Remember Twitter etiquette. Don’t overshare, and remember to reply to people who talk to you and thank them for retweeting etc.
- Don’t just follow people in your industry, but find people who are related in some way. I follow a lot of writers and editors, so if there is a shout-out for something they need, I can offer to help instantly.
- You have to be genuine about it. If you are just posting cynically to try and drive traffic, you will be found out.
If you have a project you’d like to discuss with Sophie, you can see more of her work and contact her through the Sophie Paterson Interiors sourcebook page